Gorton’s, America’s leader in frozen seafood since 1849, has an excellent opportunity for a Manufacturing Engineer – Packaging, interested in joining our Engineering Team. Gorton’s offers the entrepreneurial spirit of a smaller organization, combined with the leadership of a category leader in consumer products.
This high visibility position will be a part of Gorton’s corporate engineering department and the primary role responsible for all aspects of packaging activity, including package design, sizing, testing, material selection, equipment selection & installation. The position will also serve as an active member in cross-functional teams and lead the packaging development process for all our businesses, from concept development through execution and launch. In addition, this individual will assist with technology transfer and investigate innovative processes to improve plant operations, assist in troubleshooting production issues, and help develop and test sustainable packaging materials. The individual will work in collaboration with other engineering groups and other stakeholders to identify new equipment and manufacturing technologies for implementation on new and current products. This position requires team participation and collaboration with R&D scientists, Purchasing, Supply Chain, Marketing, and Sales.
- Be the primary engineer on packaging related projects, supported by other engineering & R&D disciplines, as required
- Lead packaging development efforts
- Identify packaging trends and develop new packaging concepts for retail, Club, and alternate channels
- Identify and validate cost savings and sustainability initiatives
- Assist in technology transfer to operations
- Organize and supervise tests at plants
- Heavy involvement in new product start-ups
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial, or Packaging Engineering, or a related engineering field (some packaging experience desirable)
- Demonstrable mechanical aptitude
- Comfortable in a manufacturing environment, with some food production or other CPG experience a plus
- The ability to travel as needed (approximately 5%-10%).
- Good interpersonal, communication and project management skills
- A creative, curious, innovative thinker, with good problem-solving skills
- Candidates must have permanent U.S. work authorization, visa sponsorship is not available
Candidates must have permanent U.S. work authorization (U.S. citizenship or permanent residency/green card.)
Gorton’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer