Gorton’s has a Research and Development Assistant position available in our R&D Department located at our Gloucester, Massachusetts headquarters. Gorton’s has been a leader in frozen seafood since 1849, and is committed to expanding and strengthening its leadership in the frozen food category through innovation and new product development.
This position supports development of frozen seafood products by assisting in all stages of the product development process at Gorton’s. This includes working at the lab bench and in production facilities. The ideal candidate must be comfortable working in the culinary kitchen and analytical laboratory, as well as around large industrial, food processing equipment.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Prepare product prototypes for evaluation using basic culinary skills
- Support and coordinate production facility trials
- Develop cooking instructions and perform sensory evaluation of products
- Conduct and summarize storage study test evaluations using trend analysis
- Prepare products for external and internal customer reviews
- Attend sales calls and prepare products
- Assemble and ship products to external labs and customers
- Manage ingredient inventories and maintain clean environment of lab
- B.S. degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology or Culinary Arts
- Passion for cooking and testing new recipes
- Ability to conduct basic analytic tests on food with training
- Solid quantitative skills, with aptitude for technology and science
- Willingness to taste fish and shellfish prototypes (no allergies)
- Competence with Microsoft Office software
- Well developed interpersonal skills
- Able to lift 50 lbs
- Able to travel and be flexible in work hours
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment
Gorton’s offers excellent growth potential along with an attractive benefits and compensation package.
Candidates must have permanent U.S. work authorization (U.S. citizenship or permanent residency/green card.)
Gorton’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer