Position Summary: An insights-driven role requiring strategic thinking and an expert grasp of consumer research. You will oversee Gorton’s strategic research objectives to uncover opportunities and drive initiatives, using qualitative and quantitative studies along with community and third-party data to uncover and synthesize actionable insights. Reports directly to the Vice President of Marketing with two direct reports.
- Identify, prioritize, design, organize, execute, and interpret a wide variety of consumer marketing research applications to provide consumer, shopper and retail customer insights.
- Manage and develop Associate Managers, one focused on consumer insights and one focused on category insights.
- Responsible for primary quantitative consumer research to support U.S. and Canadian businesses, including Home Use Tests, New Product Concept Tests, Flavor Optimization, Packaging Tests, Claims Optimization, Brand Awareness & Imagery, Positioning Tests, and other ad hoc custom research. You will establish objectives and action standards, design research to meet these needs, manage research vendors, analyze data, and present actionable insights/recommendations.
- Design, direct, and manage qualitative research, including focus groups, focus use groups, in-depth interviews, shop-a-longs, and ethnographies. Manage observers and objectively identify actionable insights. Occasional moderation.
- Supervise and manage research flow for established Consumer Community, overseeing design of research activities to keep members engaged as well as interpreting and communicating that information.
- Design and lead strategic brand research projects such as Consumer Segmentation or Brand Equity mining research for consumer, market and business insights.
- Assist Quality Assurance department in managing external Consumer Services (800 number) partner.
- Support ad hoc requests for market and customer specific trends, consumer behavior/trends, and historical research information, managing requests for secondary and syndicated research as they occur.
- Manage marketing research budget, identify and vet new research vendors, and stay informed of new methodologies.
- 5 years minimum experience in the consumer research field, preferably at a CPG company, or a research supplier focused on CPG businesses. Food experience highly desirable. Prior staff management and development preferred.
- Demonstrated history of translating learnings to actionable insights and driving strategic initiatives. Well-developed use of Nielsen or IRI (scanning and panel), Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Solid grasp of statistical analysis.
- Highly efficient self-starter. Detail-oriented, with strong organizational and interpersonal skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team – with an enthusiasm and passion for the job.
- Strategic and creative thinker with a solid working knowledge of a wide range of qualitative & quantitative techniques and best practices (including advanced multivariate and discrete choice analytics), as well as advanced survey design skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree (prefer major in Psychology, Mathematics, or Business) required; MBA/Masters in related field a plus.
- Adept with Qualtrics, Survey Gizmo, or similar self-service survey tool; experience supervising and/or running a research Community is desirable. Experience creating and analyzing surveys using self-service tools.
Gorton’s offers excellent growth potential along with an attractive benefits and compensation package.
Candidates must have permanent U.S. work authorization (U.S. citizenship or permanent residency/green card.)
Gorton’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer